Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Unique, Special and One of a Kind

I am special!
I am unique!
I am lovable and worthwhile!

The above is a creed my middle school Home Economics teacher had us recite in her class. While I don't remember it all, I do remember, what I would like to think is the most important part!  As Jonathan and I prayed about where the Lord was leading us to adopt, we felt Him leading us towards China.  To adopt a healthy child from China, it takes 6-8 YEARS. To adopt a child with some form of what they call a "disability" it takes 1-2 YEARS.

While we would love to have a healthy child, just like the two girls God has already blessed us with, we also felt led in another direction.    The term "disability" is loosely used when referring to children needing a forever home.  Many are labeled this due to needing a simple surgery or a child born with a low birth weight.  Children in China and many other countries alike do not have the medical services available or the means to provide the services needed.  Some children are simply getting older and will "age-out" of being adopted and remain in an orphanage or foster care system until they are of age and able to take care of themselves.  The label "disability" can also mean something more serious, such as cerebral palsy or loss of hearing or eye sight.  Regardless of the difference in the child, they have been placed up for adoption for one reason or another.  China's strict guidelines of how many children a household can have and the desire for a son to carry on the family name and property don't help the matter of children being placed in adoption situations either.

All of this being shared to tell you we are choosing the 1-2 year approach of adopting from China.  The thought of a child not being wanted simply because of limitations they may have, however big or small, makes my heart ache!  And as I scroll down the lists of "waiting children" longing for a home and someone to love them, I am quickly reminded of the creed my Home Economics teacher taught me many years ago...You are special! You are unique! You are lovable and worthwhile!  I cannot wait to share this important message with our future son/daughter.  More importantly I look forward to sharing the message that a God who loves them created him/her just the way they are and He has awesome plans for their life!

No comments:

Post a Comment